Subject: Re: tty problems with current netbsd
To: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
From: None <sigsegv@rambler.ru>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 03/12/2005 16:11:48
Sean Davis wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 12, 2005 at 02:50:48PM +0000, sigsegv@rambler.ru wrote:
>
>>I built 32-bit GENERIC_SUN4U kernel + 32-bit userland from current
>>source tree. When booting kernel, white console with black foreground
>>text is obscured by a small black window with white foreground text,
>>where the rest of kernel message begin appearing. In particular I notice
>>the following message:
>>
>>Setting tty flags.
>>sys_ioctl: _IOW('t', 92, 4) returned -1: pid=87 comm=ttyflags
>>
>>When it gets to the login promt, the keyboard does not seem to work at all.
>>
>>Any ideas? Or current for sparc64 is not quite ready for general use?
>

> The sparc64 is ready for general use, and has been for quite a long time
> now. As for the 32 bit version (aka NetBSD/sparc)... possibly not. I run
> NetBSD/sparc64 on an Ultra 1 and Ultra 5 here, and really see no practical
> reason for running 32bit on an Ultra. Perhaps if you need to run 32-bit
> binaries that COMPAT_NETBSD32 in -current/sparc64 can't handle... other than
> that... *shrug*
>
> - Sean

I meant the CURRENT branch of netbsd, or whatever its classification is,
it seems to have problems with ttys, well on my Ultra 10 anyway. I can
log in via ssh, but not on the console, as the keyboard does not respond.

In regard to 64-bit vs 32-bit, well I don't see any practical reason for
running 64-bit on Ultra 10. I did encounter problems with
COMPAT_NETBSD32 with netbsd-2.0, besides what does 64-bit gain you on
your Ultra 5? 32-bit binaries are smaller, so more code can fit into RAM
and cache, which should speed things up a bit.