Subject: Re: Adaptec 2940UW flashed for Mac on an Ultra5
To: 'port-sparc64@netbsd.org' <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: Schwerzmann, Stephan <stephan.schwerzmann@schmid-telecom.ch>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 03/11/2005 10:44:37
hello,

  (I'll talk out of my mouth, not out of my head..)

>> I'm interested in firmware versions of those running either
>> AHA2940UW/OF or, if someone has really flashed their AHA2940UW and got
>> it working.
>
>I have a way to get this working, but it involves a soldering iron, and
>I need an image of the 2940UW/OF ROM code.

  this matches my info-digging around an 2940UW I found in the dumpster:
it came off a PC-only-oriented industry and sports a flash chip of some
size.

  my intention was to flash it for apple machines, but I found out that
mac variants of 2940's need a flash of double size
  (sorry forgot exact figures and links... shame on me)

  by "involves a soldering iron" did you mean "remove the small, put in
the big" flash-rom chip?
  this would match my intention I never came to implement

  I'd expect the flash utility would prevent from havocking a 'small flash'
adapter board with the larger firmware, but one never knows...

>I've been trying for a couple years to get that ROM image, but so far,
>no luck...
>
>Still looking

  sun/ultrasparc specific ROM image? dunno.
  apple specific ROM-image? I meant it to be available from adaptecs
website, obviously packed into a mac-usual archive

Stephan