Subject: Re: Adaptec 2940UW flashed for Mac on an Ultra5
To: Jarto Nieminen <gdk@mail.suomi.net>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 03/10/2005 19:24:42
On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:46:04 +0200
Jarto Nieminen <gdk@mail.suomi.net> wrote:

> I've been reading the archives and about a year ago (January 2004)
> there seems to have been much commotion over using an Adaptec 2940UW
> for the PC which was flashed with Mac firmware on an Ultra5. I've now
> done this but to no avail, the OBP of my Ultra5 doesn't detect the
> card as a SCSI controller regardless.
I am no OBP expert. I read somewhere on the net that Sun and Apple use
different hooks to detect a OBP PROM on PCI cards, so Mac OBP cards are
not detected in Suns and vice versa.

My recommendation is to get a NCR / Symbios / LSI SCSI card from ePay.
You can get UW / U2W Symbios cards for less then 10,- EUR / US$ 10 and
they Just Work (C) (R) (TM) on PCI Sparcs. See esiop(4).
--=20

tsch=FC=DF,
       Jochen