Subject: Re: cannot boot netbsd, manual install from solaris
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Ben Collver <collver@peak.org>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 03/09/2005 20:12:09
On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 08:30:28AM +0100, Martin Husemann wrote:
> Did you have the NetBSD partition prepared from Solaris, and then tell sysinst
> to accept existing partitions? I would expect that to leave the disklabel
> alone (at the solaris version). If it does insist on putting a NetBSD
> label on the disk, that is a sysinst bug.

Yes, and NetBSD does insist on putting a NetBSD label on the disk.

> Also when you select mount points for partitions, you should have no mount
> dir at all for the solaris part, and maybe add that later manually to
> /etc/fstab (maybe not untill we figure why that causes a kernel panic ;-} )
> If this does not avoid the fsck on the solaris partition, or if sysinst does
> not let you avoid that mount point, that is another bug.

I wiped the disk, installed Solaris again, prepared a partition for
NetBSD, installed with sysinst, set the Solaris partition to not have a
mount point, and to not mount, and set the NetBSD partition to be
newfs'd and mounted at /.  This time around, sysinst did not try to fsck
the Solaris partition.  The key is to not have a mount point.  The "No
mount" option doesn't affect fsck.

Now I am going to see if I can prepare the partition with Solaris, then
do a manual installation from the NetBSD boot cdrom.  Once I am done
with that, I will file a PR for the installation documentation.

Thanks for the help so far,

Ben