Subject: Re: cannot boot netbsd, manual install from solaris
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Ben Collver <collver@peak.org>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 03/08/2005 20:03:52
On Sun, Mar 06, 2005 at 08:32:55PM +0100, Martin Husemann wrote:
> could you check if booting from the 2.0 install CD
> and just following the normal installation procedure allows you to select
> the existing 3rd partition and install NetBSD on it?

I installed Solaris 10.  I created a 1gb NetBSD partition.  I followed
the same steps I posted in my original message.  Also, I unmounted the
filesystem before rebooting, to make sure Solaris' UFS logging was not
the culprit.  NetBSD still crashed on the Solaris-created UFS system.
This morning I mailed you a partition image.

Tonight, I booted off the install CD.  Sysinst installs to /, so I had
to change / to /solaris, then /netbsd to /.  I also changed /solaris to
not mount.  Still, sysinst tried to fsck /solaris, failed, and dumped me
back to the beginning.  I had to change the partition type of /solaris to
unknown, and I was able to proceed with a sysinst-based install.

The system now dual-boots both Solaris 10 and NetBSD 2.0.  However,
Solaris cannot deal with NetBSD's disklabel, so the disk utilities such
as "format" no longer work as expected.

I think the workaround will be to do the following:
* wipe the disk, so the solaris installer will correctly detect it
* install solaris 10
* make a partition for NetBSD from solaris
* boot the netbsd install CD, and drop to shell
* newfs the NetBSD partition, and do a manual install

I hope this will result in a disk label that Solaris can grok, and a
filesystem that NetBSD can use.  I'll test that and let you know how
it goes.

Cheers,

Ben