Subject: cannot boot netbsd, manual install from solaris
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.org, port-sparc64@NetBSD.org>
From: Ben Collver <collver@peak.org>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 03/06/2005 10:14:40
Hello,

I installed NetBSD 2.0 from a running Solaris 10 system onto the same
disk as Solaris, roughly following the steps outlined at:
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-2.0/sparc64/INSTALL.html#Manual%20Installation%20of%20NetBSD%20using%20Solaris

The NetBSD bootblock fails.  Here are the details:

Partitions 0, 1, and 2 are used by Solaris.

* added partition 3 for NetBSD
* newfs /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s3
* mkdir /netbsd
* vi /etc/vfstab
* mount /netbsd
* cd /netbsd
* for i in /cdrom/cdrom/sparc64/binary/sets/*tgz;
	do gzip -dc $i | pax -r -p e; done
* cp /cdrom/cdrom/sparc64/installation/misc/ofwboot /netbsd
* /usr/sbin/installboot /cdrom/cdrom/sparc64/installation/misc/bootblk \
	/dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s3
* cd /netbsd/dev
* cp MAKEDEV MAKEDEV.ben
* vi MAKEDEV.ben
	alter mkdev() to use mknod, chown, chgrp, and chmod on Solaris
* /bin/ksh ./MAKEDEV.ben init
	The only errors are the special files for serial ports, which
	have major/minor numbers that are invalid for the Solaris mknod.
* vi /etc/fstab /etc/rc.conf
* reboot

At the OFW prompt:

ok boot disk0:d -V
Boot device: /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1/ide@3/disk@0,0:d  File and args: -V
NetBSD IEEE 1275 Bootblock
from device /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1/ide#3/disk@0,0:d
ufs-open complete
.Looking for ofwboot in directory...
search-directory: buf-read-file zero len
Fast Data Access MMU Miss
ok

Should I be able to get NetBSD 2.0 and Solaris 10 to boot off the same
disk?  What could I do to further trouble-shoot this problem?

Thank you,

Ben