Subject: Re: NetBSD Sparc64 SMP
From: George Adkins <george@webbastard.org>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 02/22/2005 22:01:41
On Feb 22, 2005, at 5:51 PM, James Cornell wrote:

> Hmm... SMP is more important then X IMOH.  I bought this machine
> specifically for
> server usage, so it won't be running X anytime soon.  Anyways...
> whatever the case,
> I'll use Solaris if Sparc64 SMP NetBSD remains unavailable.  I won't
> be getting
> rid of the machine anytime soon, so even if I have to wait until 2007
> for NetBSD
> 4 or whatever, then it doesn't really matter.

I agree wholeheartedly here.  I own or am responsible for about fifteen
Ultrasparc Sun machines running NetBSD, most of them are actually
active machines on the 'net.  I'm running 1.6.x or 2.0RC1 on the
majority of them, and the U2s are (disappointingly) single-proc for no
reason other than the lack of SMP support in Sparc64.  if this support
were there, there are a couple U1/170's which I would replace
IMEEEDIATELY with U2-2/300s.

I don't run X on a single one of these machines.  in fact, not a single
one of them even has a framebuffer installed.

--
George

Light a fire for a luser and he'll be warm for a night; set a luser on
fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. -- ASM