Subject: Re: NetBSD Sparc64 SMP
To: James Cornell <unixpenguin2004@earthlink.net>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 02/22/2005 15:42:30
James Cornell said:

>You're quite right Rick.  Great ideas there, might be more important then the SMP.
>Stability is probably more of a problem for the most of us, although since most
>Sun machines are heat boxes, I'd really like to have both processors working.  (Electricity
>Bill!? ; The heat won't go down, you're essentially paying for a half-ass powerhouse)

I find that Intel commodity hardware has greater heat problemsm than Sun.

>Using your Ultra 60 as a desktop is a great idea.  Sun hardware is always more stable
>then any Intel, and the performance from even one processor still competes with
>the best x86's.  =)

Without reliable X, sparc64 is useless as a desktop. If SMP ultimately has to
wait, I would use an Ultra 10 with a SCSI controller as a desktop.

>As for your E450 with 4 Cpus, only one can be used in the current Sparc64 NetBSD
>kernel because it lacks working SMP (Broken code ; non-bootable) ; quite a waste,
>especially considering that that machine costs an arm and a limb in electricity
>costs per month.  It'd be great to see even just 2 of those 4 processors working,
>don't you think?

When it comes time to consolidate all my NFS servers, I will use a 4 processor
E450 with either SMP NetBSD or Solaris 10. Depending on what is available.
--
Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.com
		http://www.rmkhome.com/