Subject: Re: squid
To: gaspo <gaspolo@gmail.com>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 02/19/2005 05:59:42
On Feb 19, 2005, at 5:47 AM, gaspo wrote:
> i install squid from packages binary of netbsd2.0 ...after install
> ...squid say me:
> NetBSD: MESSAGE.NetBSD,v 1.1 2003/12/25 16:28:14 taca Exp $
>
> The following parameters should work for NetBSD:
>
> options         SYSVMSG         # System V-like message queues
> options         SYSVSEM         # System V-like semaphores
> options         SYSVSHM         # System V-like memory sharing
>
> options         SHMMAXPGS=8192
> options         MSGMNB=16384
> options         MSGSSZ=64
> options         MSGTQL=512
>

> i Must put that Option in Kernel and recopmile?

   I'd say yes, if the installation program says so. ;)

> if yes...why?

   Because squid uses these interprocess communication facilities.

> because i install squind in other sistem like sun/debian/open/freebsd
> and noone want this option..

   I'm not 100% positive about this, but I think squid only uses the
SysV IPC stuff if it's compiled with the diskd store I/O module.  With
diskd, squid uses the SysV interprocess communication facilities to
pass data and synchronize operations between its diskd subprocesses.

   Other operating systems will control those parameters in different
ways.  Under Solaris, for example, you'd add statements to /etc/system
to change the SysV IPC parameters.

> is secure add this option to kernel?

   I'm fairly certain that there are no security issues with these
settings.

             -Dave

--
Dave McGuire              "I've watched Harley people throw up
Cape Coral, FL                      on the ceiling."    -Krissi