Subject: Re: sparc64 error when compiling kernel
To: gaspo <gaspolo@gmail.com>
From: Seth Kurtzberg <seth@cql.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 02/17/2005 04:52:09
gaspo wrote:

>hi im new on netbsd...but i find this sistem very powerful...but wneh
>i copmiling my kernel.. i find that error:
>
>----
>ld -x -r compat_exec.o.tmp -o compat_exec.o
>ld: Relocatable linking with relocations from format elf32-sparc
>(compat_exec.o.tmp) to format elf64-sparc (compat_exec.o) is not
>supported
>*** Error code 1

It means exactly what it says.  You actually get a coherent error
message, which is a rarity.

You have to compile 64 bit apps using a different compiler, and you
cannot use object code compiled with the 32 bit compiler mixed with the
object code generated by the 32 bit compiler.

It has nothing to do with the kernel.  There could be a kernel issue,
but you haven't reached the point where it would show up.

The compiler is trying to convert 32 bit object code to 64 bit object
code, and that is not supported yet.