Subject: Re: bootable cdrom
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 02/12/2005 16:21:29
On Sun, Feb 13, 2005 at 07:19:52AM +1100, matthew green wrote:

> wrt performance every application is going to be different.  if you
> care a *lot* about performance, you have to *test* your applications
> in both 32 bit and 64 bit environments to try.  either can be faster...
>
>    Some integer arithmetic on long long datatypes may be faster in 64-bit
>    mode, however I suspect compiling with gcc's -mcpu=ultrasparc may be
>    able to produce 32-bit code which handles 64-bit integer arithmetic much
>    more efficiently.
>
> -mcpu=ultrasparc schedules the code such that the even-more-superscalar
> nature of the ultrasparc can be used.  it doesn't really allow the use
> of raw 64 bit arith...

See, this is one of the oddities of sparc64 that makes me want to put
SpamAssassin back on it - with 2MB cache, 333mhz CPU, it would eat through
messages about half as fast as a 256KB cache 2.167ghz CPU (athlon xp) -
shouldn't the performance margin be a LOT bigger there?

It does spamassassin at over twice the speed of a p3-650 with the same ram,
for example.

- Sean

--
 _