Subject: Re: bootable cdrom
To: None <sigsegv@rambler.ru>
From: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 02/12/2005 11:16:10
--Qxx1br4bt0+wmkIi

On Sat, Feb 12, 2005 at 10:08:02AM +0000, sigsegv@rambler.ru wrote:
> Sean Davis wrote:
> >On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 11:28:19PM +0000, sigsegv@rambler.ru wrote:
> >
> >[snip how to install netbsd/sparc32 on netbsd/sparc64]
> >
> >Okay, one question: I have an Ultra 5 running 2.99.9/sparc64 right now,=
=20
> >what
> >advantages (other than sparc32 binary compatibility without a special=20
> >kernel
> >option) would using NetBSD/sparc32 (calling it sparc32 for the sake of
> >clarity) on that machine give me?
> >
> >I've heard arguments that it's faster... but the machine is only 333mhz
> >anyway, I'm not expecting it to compile KDE :-)
> >
> >- Sean
>=20
> Basically, I've discovered two problems:
>=20
> 1) Some packages are not 64-bit clean, so they need to be compiled and=20
> run as 32-bit executables

Yeah, but I run with a minimal set of packages anyhow on that machine. My
question was mainly: what are the pros and cons of sparc32 vs. sparc64
NetBSD on a sparc64 machine. So far the only pro I see is the "some
programmers are lazy" one :)

> 2) I've tried compat_netbsd32 on sparc64, but parts of it seem to be=20
> broken, see the following PR:=20
> http://www.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=3D28930
> What this means is you can't run 32-bit gcc to build 32-bit packages=20
> from pkgsrc on sparc64, and native 64-bit gcc does not support -m32=20
> option :-/

I'd discovered this one on my own, never bothered to PR it because I figured
there had to be a PR out there already.

- Sean

--
 _