Subject: Re: bootable cdrom
To: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
From: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 02/12/2005 03:53:27
On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 10:44:32PM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On Feb 11, 2005, at 9:38 PM, Sean Davis wrote:
> >[snip how to install netbsd/sparc32 on netbsd/sparc64]
> >
> >Okay, one question: I have an Ultra 5 running 2.99.9/sparc64 right
> >now, what
> >advantages (other than sparc32 binary compatibility without a special
> >kernel
> >option) would using NetBSD/sparc32 (calling it sparc32 for the sake of
> >clarity) on that machine give me?
> >
> >I've heard arguments that it's faster... but the machine is only 333mhz
> >anyway, I'm not expecting it to compile KDE :-)
>
>   If that's the 333MHz processor that has the big L2 cache, it's
> actually a very respectable performer, especially if you have an
> "adult" disk subsystem.

It's got an Adaptec AHA-2940UW-OFW booting a Seagate Cheetah 8.5GB 10krpm
Ultra2/LVD (running at Ultra/Wide) disk in it, right now. My main concern is
ram (it used to be my SpamAssassin box, but the new ver of SA simply
couldn't do it in 256MB RAM without swapping)

- Sean

--
 _
( ) ASCII Ribbon Campaign