Subject: re: bootable cdrom
To: None <sigsegv@rambler.ru>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 02/12/2005 08:07:03

   Maybe I'm going the wrong way about it, on sparc64 web page is says:

   "NetBSD/sparc64 supports both 32-bit and 64-bit kernels. A 32-bit kernel
   runs all NetBSD/sparc binaries"

   So I guess the question would be: what's the best and correct way to
   build 32-bit kernel for sparc64 architecture and what's the best way to
   integrate it with 32-bit userland? Anyone tried this before?

i'm sending this mail from such a box.  my home server has always
been a 32 bit sparc system.  when i upgraded from an SS5 to a U1
i broke the raid1 mirror that the system was installed on, installed
bootblk and ofwboot on the detached side, plus a new kernel, pulled
the disk out and put it in the U1.  when i was happy it was OK, i
put the other disk in the U1 and raidframe re-synced them.  at one
point i had to go back to the SS5 and used the same process ..

it is now a U10/440 but still 32 bit system.  just build a sparc
release and use GENERIC_SUN4U kernel instead...

.mrg.