Subject: Re: Can't boot new kernel built with toolchain in 2.0 ISO (sparc64)
To: Eduardo Horvath <eeh@NetBSD.org>
From: FatBoy <fatboy@homesys.org>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 02/07/2005 20:55:38
Hi Eduardo -

Eduardo Horvath wrote:

>On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 03:49:27PM -0600, FatBoy wrote:
>

>>Eduardo Horvath wrote:

>>>It's managed to load both the boot block and ofwboot.  However,
>>>ofwboot is unable to read in the ELF header.  It's definitely
>>>a filesystem issue.  You should check that there's a /netbsd
>>>file and it's not zero length or a symlink.
>>>

>>The file is there of appropriate length, and is not a symlink.  When I
>>run file on it, it reports:
>> # file netbsd.new
>> netbsd.new: ELF 64-bit MSB executable, SPARC V9, version 1 (SYSV),
>>statically linked, not stripped
>> #
>>

>I find that very strange.  Obviously, the bootblock, which I would
>expect to fail, worked fine, and ofwboot was able to read the directory,
>but unable to read the file itself.  Hm.
>
>What sort of machine is this?  Does the root partition extend beyond
>2GB?  ISTR some versions of OBP had problems reading beyond a certain
>point on the disk.

The machine is an Ultra 10 with two 80G IDE drives.  wd0a and wd1a from
a RAID1 set (raid0) and span approx. the first 36G of the drives.
raid0a is my root partition.

So, it is quite possible that netbsd.new is outside of the first 2GB.
However, would this be the problem since it is ofwboot that is having
problems, not OBP?

Thanks for your help,

Jonathan Sadler

>Try adding the -d bootflag and see if you get more info.

Didn't get much more -- just more info on loadfile being called.  Here
it is:

ok boot netbsd.new -sd
Resetting ...

Sun Ultra 5/10 UPA/PCI (UltraSPARC-IIi 300MHz), No Keyboard
OpenBoot 3.31, 384 MB (60 ns) memory installed, Serial #10413086.
Ethernet address 8:0:20:9e:e4:1e, Host ID: 809ee41e.

Rebooting with command: boot netbsd.new -sd
Boot device: /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1/ide@3/disk@0,0:a  File and args: netbsd.new -sd
main: Calling loadfile(fd, /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1/ide@3/disk@0,0:a/netbsd.new -sd)