Subject: Can't boot new kernel built with toolchain in 2.0 ISO (sparc64)
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: FatBoy <fatboy@homesys.org>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 02/07/2005 11:15:36
Hi all,

In order to chase down the status of the re(4) stuff that I mailed about
earlier, I've been attempting to build a kernel for my sparc64 machine.
Every kernel I've built ends up not being bootable -- I get an error
when the bootloader tries to identify the file format.  Booting the
stock kernel is ok.

Here's the error message:
  Sun Ultra 5/10 UPA/PCI (UltraSPARC-IIi 300MHz), No Keyboard
  OpenBoot 3.31, 384 MB (60ns) memory installed, Serial #10413086
  Ethernet address 8:0:20:9e:e4:1e, Host ID: 809ee41e.

  Rebooting with command: boot netbsd.new -s
  Boot device: /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1/ide@3/disk@0,0:a  File and args:
netbsd.new -s
  NetBSD IEEE 1275 Bootblock
  ..>> NetBSD/sparc64 OpenFirmware Boot, Revision 1.7
  >> (builds@build, Thu Dec  2 02:33:41 UTC 2004)
  loadfile: reading header
  read header: Unknown error: code 0
  Program terminated
  ok

Some more details:
  toolchain version: gcc 3.3.3
  wd0a and wd1a are in a RAID1 set, with raid0a as an autoconfig'ed
bootable root.
  No separate partition has been setup for booting.
  The stock kernel (GENERIC) is being booted from this RAID1 set without
any problems.

The builds have been done for most combinations of the following:
  Native as well as Cross compiled from i386 (also running NetBSD-2.0)
  GENERIC config as well as custom config (result of adjustkernel)
  Using build.sh as well as manual making
  NetBSD-2.0 syssrc.tgz as well as CVS release netbsd-2-0

Any ideas?  I've built kernels for i386, sparc, sh4, etc. for 1.5,
1.5.2, 1.6, and 1.6.1 without problems; but this is my first 2.0 kernel
build and I'm stumped...

Thanks for your help,

Jonathan Sadler