Subject: Re: compat_solaris
To: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 02/07/2005 01:01:52
On Sun, Feb 06, 2005 at 06:38:20PM -0500, Michael wrote:
> it bails because opera's eh->e_shnum is 15850 which is significantly
> larger than 1024.

See elf(5):

     e_shnum      The number of entries in the section header table, or 0 if
                  none exists.

> So - what's the purpose of this field in the ELF header? Why bail if
> it's >1024?

You should take this to tech-kern, I guess. The number of section headers
typically is something like 25, readelf -S tells you about them, maybe we
can guess from the output for opera why a program would be linked that way.

I guess the kernel check for 1024 is just an arbitrary sanity check - and
maybe it needs to be lifted or removed.

Martin