Subject: Re: compat_solaris
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@tac.gw.com>
From: Seth Kurtzberg <seth@cql.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 02/06/2005 19:42:30
--------------000205000103080905040807

Christos Zoulas wrote:

>In article <a8fea4f204c5de58333f8812579f85cf@earthlink.net>,
>Michael  <macallan18@earthlink.net> wrote:

>>Hello,
>>
>>after digging around a bit more I found where the loader barfs - it's
>>in sys/kern/exec_elf32.c
>>ELFNAME(check_header)
>>it bails because opera's eh->e_shnum is 15850 which is significantly
>>larger than 1024.
>>So - what's the purpose of this field in the ELF header? Why bail if
>>it's >1024?
>>Sorry, my knowledge of the ELF standard is next to nonexistent.
>>
>>have fun
>>Michael
>>

>The point is not to have random binaries DOS the kernel by allocating
>too much memory. I will make that bigger.

That sounds like Opera is a resource hog.  Which is, I guess, surprising.

Actually, I've never used Opera for more than 10 minutes in any of its
supported environments; it crashes, displays things incorrectly, and is
just generally a PITA to use.  Perhaps I'm doing something wrong?  If so
I'm doing it in four different operating systems.

>christos
>

>!DSPAM:4206b4eb227169311719495!

--------------000205000103080905040807

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Christos Zoulas wrote:
  <pre wrap="">In article <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:a8fea4f204c5de58333f8812579f85cf@earthlink.net">&lt;a8fea4f204c5de58333f8812579f85cf@earthlink.net&gt;</a>,
Michael  <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:macallan18@earthlink.net">&lt;macallan18@earthlink.net&gt;</a> wrote:
  </pre>

Hello,

after digging around a bit more I found where the loader barfs - it's
in sys/kern/exec_elf32.c
ELFNAME(check_header)
it bails because opera's eh-&gt;e_shnum is 15850 which is significantly
larger than 1024.
So - what's the purpose of this field in the ELF header? Why bail if
it's &gt;1024?

  <pre wrap=""><!---->
The point is not to have random binaries DOS the kernel by allocating
too much memory. I will make that bigger.
  </pre>
That sounds like Opera is a resource hog.&nbsp; Which is, I guess,
surprising.<br>
Actually, I've never used Opera for more than 10 minutes in any of its
supported environments; it crashes, displays things incorrectly, and is
just generally a PITA to use.&nbsp; Perhaps I'm doing something wrong?&nbsp; If
so I'm doing it in four different operating systems.<br>
  <pre wrap="">