Subject: Re: NetBSD2.0/sparc not ready for prime time?
To: Johan A.van Zanten <johan@giantfoo.org>
From: Seth Kurtzberg <seth@cql.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 02/06/2005 03:19:06
--------------090305020601050107010807

Adding something I forgot, NetBSD has turned two of my systems into
operational servers without NetBSD.  The second machine isn't a sparc
machine, but it still counts.

Johan A.van Zanten wrote:

>Seth Kurtzberg <seth@cql.com> wrote:
>

>>That is again _not_ to imply that there aren't problems, and that they
>>don't need to be fixed.  It is merely to say that you have good people
>>already expending maximum effort, and, in my experience, NetBSD
>>releases, initially, are of much higher quality than other operating
>>systems I've used, including expensive SVR4 releases from Sun or HP.
>>

> I want to second this.  I began my career as a sysadmin back in
>1991-1992, and the early releases of Solaris were very buggy.  I didn't
>put Solaris into production until 1994, and i think that was Solaris 2.4.
>2.0 and 2.1 were just not usable on busy machines -- i know several other
>shops that deployed projects on Alphas instead of Suns (even after they'd
>already bought the Suns), simply because Solaris 2.0 - 2.2 were not stable
>enough.  I'm not trying to bash Sun here; it's the same problem. Shipping
>a new version of an OS, especially when it has substantial changes (like
>SMP) is impossible to do without having some bugs, even after months of
>testing with far, far more resources than the NetBSD project has. And the
>painfully irony is that a bug fix is always likely to introduce another
>bug.
>
> I've been happy with 2.0 on sparc (and alpha) so far. My main DNS server,
>KDC and mail relay is now a SPARC-20 (dual 50 Mhz) with about 300 MB of
>RAM. Yesterday, it 55x refused about 35,000 pieces of SPAM, and 45x
>refused another 45,000.  (And depressingly, it delivered about 200 pieces
>of mail, some of which were still spam.) It's a busy machine.
>
> The only major problems i've run into on sparc have all been in pkgsrc,
>which is (in my mind) entirely seperate from the OS. I'm not denying that
>there may be problems with 2.0 on sparc.  I'm simply saying that what i am
>seeing here on my machines is impressive for a x.0 release with major, new
>functionality in the kernel.
>
> -johan
>
>!DSPAM:42052362150207400181028!

--------------090305020601050107010807

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Adding something I forgot, NetBSD has turned two of my systems into
operational servers without NetBSD.&nbsp; The second machine isn't a sparc
machine, but it still counts.<br>
Johan A.van Zanten wrote:
 type="cite">
  <pre wrap="">Seth Kurtzberg <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:seth@cql.com">&lt;seth@cql.com&gt;</a> wrote:

  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">That is again _not_ to imply that there aren't problems, and that they