Subject: re: 32-bit packages
To: None <sigsegv@rambler.ru>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 01/08/2005 22:59:39
   matthew green wrote:

   >    Just out of interest, is there a performance penalty on NetBSD when
   >    executing 32-bit binaries with 64-bit kernel, as opposed to native
   >    64-bit binaries? What about Solaris, does it use the same principles
   >    when executing 32-bit binaries?
   >

   > every application is different.  if you care about performance you
   > need to actually measure 32 vs 64 bit.  depending on the application
   > either one can be a clear winner, or perhaps it makes no difference.

   Sure, but I was thinking if you're running 64-bit kernel and execute
   32-bit binary, does the OS need to use various emulation layers which
   affect the performance?

there is a layer to convert 32 bit / 64 bit syscall arguments as required
but in my testing i can't notice it affecting performance.

.mrg.