Subject: Re: console, XFree and such
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 01/03/2005 09:40:43
Hello,

>> To overcome this I did a quick but hopefully not too dirty port of
>> macppc's ofb driver
>
> I'd realy prefer to fix any issues in the machfb driver (if there are
> any),
> and add acceleration to it as well.

I'll have a look at it. For sparc64 you're probably right, but a
generic driver for PCI framebuffers in OF/OBP systems is definitely
useful, at least as long as there are framebuffers without native
driver. Then it can be shared with macppc which doesn't have /any/
native framebuffer drivers ( well, it's stolen from macppc anyway, so
'making ofb portable' would be a better term ). Some have an ATi Mach64
chip onboard (like the PowerMac 4400, some iMacs, early iBooks and so
on ), maybe machfb can be tweaked to run on these too. Can't test this
though, my iBook has a Radeon.

have fun
Michael