Subject: Re: Why is the 1.6.2 iso image still buggy (RAID1 bootblock bug from June (!) 22nd)?
To: James Chacon <jmc@NetBSD.org>
From: Timo Schoeler <timo.schoeler@macfinity.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 01/02/2005 13:11:16
>> hi,
>>
>> of course i am aware of the differences between 1.6.2 and 2.0 -- and i
>> can confirm that using 2.0 on sparc64 is less pain than using 1.6.2.
>>
>> nevertheless, i see no reason to distribute a *buggy* 1.6.2 iso for
>> while the bug is i) known and ii) fixed...
>
> Yes, and if those changes have been pulled up to the 1.6 branch the
> 1.6.3
> release would incorporate them.
>
> The fact is, the "1.6.2" release didn't have them. Just like the 2.0
> release doesn't have features/fixes from -current today. We won't be
> going
> back and "correcting" the 2.0 images out there...We'll release 2.1,
> 2.2, etc
> to pull up fixes.

hi,

i had some conversation with Matthias Scheler yesterday.

it all boils down (at least for me ;) that there should be a note on
this issue regarding sparc64/1.6.2 in the RAID1-howto (the howto itself
is for i386 and sparc64, so it wouldn't cause that much harm to put a
note there), perhaps with a link to
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-sparc64/2004/06/22/0001.html

:)

regards,