Subject: Re: console, XFree and such
To: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
From: Matt Dainty <matt@bodgit-n-scarper.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 01/01/2005 14:24:31
On Sat, 2005-01-01 at 14:15, Michael wrote:
> Hello,
>
> >>    The other OF calls are exactly the same.
> >>    With a little fiddling it could probably talk to SBus framebuffers
> >> too,
> >>    the only reason it attaches to pci is that it does so on macppc.
> >>
> >> yeah.  i'm just thinking that if it can become a shared driver it
> >> would
> >> be a better move over all.
> >
> > What would be the chances of this also working on Krups JavaStation?
>
> Umm, is this a PCI or an SBus device? PCI should work without changes.
> If  the OFW properties for SBus framebuffers are the same as for PCI
> then it should also work, with minor changes.

It's the weirdy 32-bit Sparc with OFW & PCI. Text mode works, but from
failing miserably to get X working myself on it, I'm not sure if getting
X working this way would be easier rather than trying to drive the
framebuffer hardware directly, if I understand what this does correctly.

All I seem to remember is that the X sources were quite rigid about what
hardware a 32-bit Sparc had, and PCI wasn't one of them.

Matt