Subject: hardware recommendations (IR and Video Out)
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@4amlunch.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 12/13/2004 12:23:28
I was going to get a Playstation 2 Linux Kit for Xmas and build a Movie
Player out of it to watch movies/shows that could be downloaded without
needing to burn them to disk.

Well, the linux kit being sold out and no longer made, that doesn't look
like it's going to happen, so.......

I was thinking about using a PCI Sun, U5 would be perfect as it could sit
under the stereo.

I need to get Video Out to drive the television, so I was wondering if
anyone had any recommendations for S-Video output in PCI form that could
be run in the U5.  I don't have a big fancy TV, so progressive scan and
all that other stuff might be a waste for me, but on the other hand, if
i do ever get a nice big TV, 480p and 1080p would be very nice features.

Also, i want to be able to control it with a universal remote, do any of
you have any recommendations on how to do that?  USB or serial would be
good.  serial better, as then i won't need to also get a USB card for the
machine.

-brian
--
"Now you know why I got the everliving hell OUT of Windows administration.
Knowing it doesn't make it any easier.  It's just broken-as-designed."