Subject: Re: RAID1 bootblocks for 2.0 (and more ramblings)
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: Matt Dainty <matt@bodgit-n-scarper.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 12/12/2004 14:14:42
On Sun, 2004-12-12 at 13:56, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 12, 2004 at 01:35:25PM +0000, Jonathan Perkin wrote:
> > [...]
> > Some more musings:
> >
> > No matter how cleanly I try to shut down the machine, when booting I
> > always get
> >
> >   /dev/rraid0c: Parity status: DIRTY
> >   /dev/rraid0c: Initiating re-write of parity
> >
> > and another 3 hour wait for it to sync.  I've even tried shutting down
> > to single user, syncing partitions, unmounting them, fscking them and
> > then rebooting, but I still get dirty parity.  For good measure, the
>
> This is because of the swap partition, which isn't closed at shutdown.
> One way to fix it is to use shutdown instead of reboot. The shutdown hooks
> will turn off swap before halting/rebooting.
> What I do to work around this, is to have 2 raid partitions on the disks:
> one small raid0 with / + swap, and a raid1 with everything else. Only
> raid0 will have parity dirty, and as it's small, it doesn't need much time
> to sync.

Can you not also use "swapoff=YES" in rc.conf? I have that in mine on my
Ultra1 and Alpha's, which if memory serves is for this very problem.

I haven't rebooted mine for ages so I can't remember if this does fix
it, besides, it crashes with this sleep forever lockup, so all the RAID
partitions are dirty on boot-up. :-)

Matt