Subject: Installing X11 on Ultra 1
To: None <port-sparc64@NetBSD.org>
From: Konrad Neitzel <neitzel@neitzel.de>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 12/01/2004 22:58:40
Hi All!

Sorry, that I need to bother you again:

I installed NetBSD on my Sparc Ultra 1 and it boots up nicely.

Now I wanted to install X, but I have little problems finding some kind
of documentation, what to do:

1) NetBSD Documentation is nice and points me to some XFree86 stuff
(Chapter 9 - X). It is said, that most ports will work without
configuration ... It is not working. When I am starting the server, he
is always missing the screen section.
In /usr/X11R6/lib/X11 should be a Config file with .eg: Nothing.
xf86cfg -> not their.

2) in the INSTALL.txt file, that could be found on CD, in "Post
installation steps" I found a pointer to /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc. That
directory didn't exist.
(I searched the tgz-files on CD for some more helpfull information, but
I was unable to find it)

Could you please help me with some poinzters, what I should read?

And at least: Thank you for all your answers to my NVRAM problem. I got
a new Chip and placed it inside. After setting some values, it starts up
really fine! Great!

Thank you for your patient with a newbie on old Sun hardware.

With kind regards,

Konrad Neitzel

--
Konrad Neitzel