Subject: NVRAM problem
To: None <port-sparc64@NetBSD.org>
From: Konrad Neitzel <neitzel@neitzel.de>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 11/26/2004 11:51:50
Hi everybody,

I have some problems with a "SUN Ultra 1 Creator" I got as a present a
few days before ...

On Boot, I get a message "The IDPROM contents are invalid" and HostID /
Ethernet Adress consists only of multiple F.

Now I did some research and found the SUN NVRAM/hostid FAQ. I read it
and tried to understand it.

I understood, that the NVRAM must be changed. There are some sources of
the NVRAM chip listed and two were located in germany:
- one doesn't seem to exists any longer (Jermyn GmbH)
- one answered me, that they don't have any NVRAMs ... only normal RAMs.

Is it still possible to get a new NVRAM chip? Do you know any sources?

The other problem is: On my NVRAM is only a yellow barcode and no human
readable numbers below it. So I cannot reconstruct my ethernet adress /
hostid. Is there a easy way to read the barcode?

Is there any other way, to get past this problem and get the system up
and running?

Thank you for your help in advance.

With kind regards,

Konrad Neitzel