Subject: Re: making firefox LP64 clean
To: None <netbsd@sopwith.solgatos.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 11/26/2004 10:00:49
[ Taken port-mips of the CC list, it's not 64 bit (yet?) ]

Dieter wrote:

> The first question is:  is firefox the best hope for a usable
> web browser for NetBSD LP64 platforms (alpha/sparc64/amd64/mips)?
> (I'm currently using Netscape 4, and find more and more web sites
> are not ns4 friendly.  Complaints fall on deaf ears.)
>
> I've compiled firefox-1.0 on alpha, and there are no shortage
> of compiler warnings.  Greping for warning in make.out yields
> 13990 lines.  (not counting those from gtk).
>
> I'm well aware that not all warnings are LP64 related, not
> all warnings mean actual bugs, and not all bugs have
> compiler warnings.  However, fixing warnings is a good place
> to start.
>
> I've started fixing these, but I'm going to need help.
> So far I have 1928 fewer lines of compiler warnings.
> (plus I fixed the warnings from gtk)
>
> I'm concentrating mostly on warnings that are LP64 related.
> I've eliminated all the missing/incomplete prototype
> warnings, and some of the pointer/int warnings.
> (and a few misc)

sparc64 is a good platform for making sure code is clean.  The
combination of big-endian and 64-bit seems to catch out a lot
of code written by people who assume we all live in intelland.

Simon.
NetBSD Support and Service:         http://www.wasabisystems.com/