Subject: Re: Creator3D support on Ultra2
To: john heasley <heas@shrubbery.net>
From: Gert Doering <gert@greenie.muc.de>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 11/05/2004 19:12:10
Hi,

On Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 09:32:47AM -0800, john heasley wrote:
> > This is what I needed to do (I'm sending this also to port-sparc64, so
> > it's a bit more verbose):
>
> I think you missed the cc, so i've added it.  these are good notes.  thanks.

Actually I sent two separate e-mails, with slightly different wording
to make the "public" one easier to understand without having the full
e-mail exchange between you and me available on the list :-)

> >  - The mouse isn't working yet, but this could be a defective mouse
> >    (have no spare one to test yet).
>
> look at the X log, /var/log/XFree86.0.log; make sure it was successful
> in opening & detecting the mouse.  mine says:
>
> (**) Option "Protocol" "wsmouse"
> (**) commouse0: Protocol: wsmouse
> (**) Option "CorePointer"
> (**) commouse0: Core Pointer
> (**) Option "Device" "/dev/wsmouse0"
> (**) commouse0: Emulate3Buttons, Emulate3Timeout: 50
> (==) commouse0: Buttons: 3
> (II) Keyboard "Keyboard0" handled by legacy driver
> (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "commouse0" (type: MOUSE)

I'll give it another try tomorrow.  It displayed a mouse cursor, and
sometimes "things happened", but it was more accidential than what
I did to the mouse.

Maybe I need to setup something with "moused"?  Do you have a
moused.conf?

If I connect a serial mouse to ttyh1 (onboard tty B), and tell X11 to
use that, the mouse will work, but is a bit "jumpy", as if mouse events
get queued in a FIFO and then delivered on block.

> >  - X is *slow*.  I'm running x11perf right now, and comparing its output
> >    to something I did a while ago on a Pentium-133 with an elderly S3
> >    card (anno 1998 or so), and the S3 outperforms the Creator by about
> >    factor 3-20.   I assume that, as of today, the Creator X11 isn't
> >    accellerated in any way, just having basic "set this pixel"
> >    functionality.
>
> it will be relatively slow; there is no acceleration with wsfb, the screen
> is just mmap'd.  its not too bad (imo) on my ultra 60 450mhz.

Weeellll... it's displaying images, and things.  My plan was to use it
to replace a Sparc Classic with CG3 with it (for faster firefox'ing),
and for web things, it's just too slow.  It would at least need some
font rendering and bit blit support.

I'm not sure if you have seen my other e-mail.  The xsrc/xfree/ tree
has a sunffb driver for XFree86 that works under Sparc64-Linux, and
is also built on NetBSD/Sparc64, but doesn't work (complains "no
graphics board found").  Being able to use that driver would be *very*
nice indeed, as it has the accelleration bits all in it...

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany                             gert@greenie.muc.de
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert@net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de