Subject: Re: Creator3D support on Ultra10 (was: on Ultra2)
To: Timo Sch?ler <eclipser23@web.de>
From: Gert Doering <gert@greenie.muc.de>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 11/01/2004 19:05:46
Hi,

following up on my own post - bad style, sorry for that...

On Mon, Nov 01, 2004 at 11:11:23AM +0100, Gert Doering wrote:
>  - X is *slow*.  I'm running x11perf right now, and comparing its output
>    to something I did a while ago on a Pentium-133 with an elderly S3
>    card (anno 1998 or so), and the S3 outperforms the Creator by about
>    factor 3-20.   I assume that, as of today, the Creator X11 isn't
>    accellerated in any way, just having basic "set this pixel"
>    functionality.

This is to be expected, of course.  The XFree86 "wsfb" driver is not
accellerated (as its man page says), so there is no way to make this
fast.

There's a "sunffb" driver in the xsrc-current/xfree source tree that
claims to be accellerated, and it's has also seen some changes this
year (so it's not a "dead" project).

From what I found in Google, some Linux/Sparc users are using this, and it
seems to work for them.

I don't understand, though, how the "Linux userland / XFree86 -> graphics
hardware" interface works, and neither how "NetBSD userland / XFree 86
-> graphics hardware interface" works either, and what needs to be done
to make this driver work on NetBSD/Sparc64...

If I just set up a device section as this:

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "sunffb"
        Driver          "SUNFFB"
EndSection

the X server will complain that it can't find the hardware...

(II) SUNFFB: driver for Creator, Creator 3D and Elite 3D
(II) wsfb: driver for wsdisplay framebuffer: wsfb
(II) Primary Device is: PCI 01:02:0
(EE) No devices detected.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

-> so the driver is there, but doesn't know how to talk to the card...

Anything ideas to try?

(If there *is* documentation, please just point me at whatever I missed)

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany                             gert@greenie.muc.de
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert@net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de