Subject: Re: newbie with pkgsrc
To: None <msanghvi@quallaby.com>
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Timo_Sch=F6ler?= <eclipser23@web.de>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 10/20/2004 22:19:31
>> What version of NetBSD did you install?  1.6.2?  You'll find that some
>> packages may not build with gcc2 (which is shipped with 1.6.2.).
>> php4,
>> for instance, did not build on my last 1.6.2 bulk build.  At the
>> time, php
>> was at 4.3.4.  My most recent build (with NetBSD 2.0_BETA and the
>> pkgsrc-2004Q3 branch) built php-4.3.8 just fine.  You may want to
>> consider, at the very least, using gcc3.  But I'd really suggest
>> giving
>> 2.0_RC4 a try.
>

> Yes, I have 1.6.2 installed on the Ultra 2.
>
> How do I go about "upgrading" from 1.6.2 to 2.0_RC4 and the
> pkgsrc-2004Q3 branch ?   Or can I get ISO images for 2.0_RC4 from
> somewhere ?

take a look at ftp://releng.netbsd.org -- but as i tried it just
seconds ago it was not reachable?!

alternatively, you can check out CVS: 'cvs co -r netbsd-2-0-RC4 -PA src'

and build your own system... please have a look at

http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/current/

for details ;)

> And I am sure that there will be a lot of packages that will need to
> be upgraded to 2.0 from 1.x.  The Ultra 2, though not a fast system,
> will not be seeing too much usage on it, so I could potentialy be
> using it for building packages and doing QA type stuff on the ports.
> Where do I go "sign up" for that kind of stuff ?

you can build your own (yes, and optimized for your CPU ;) packages
with 'make package', which builds, installs the software and gzip's a
package (ends up in /usr/pkgsrc/packages/All usually).

HTH

--
:x!

timo