Subject: Re: newbie with pkgsrc
To: Mehul N. Sanghvi <msanghvi@quallaby.com>
From: Soren Jacobsen <snj@pobox.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 10/20/2004 13:00:53
On 10/20 14:58, Mehul N. Sanghvi wrote:
> 'allo,
>
>      I just recently installed NetBSD on an Ultra 2 system.  So far so
> good.  I used to be a BSD person (in the days of SunOS 3/4) but my most
> recent experience has been with Linux (Debian and its apt-get packaging
> system).
>
>      I have the /usr/pkgsrc tree.  I downloaded the tar file, and ran a
> 'cvs update -dP' on it.  I have Apache installed (via pkg_add) and would
> now like to install PHP 4.  Unfortunately, I the pre-built packages are
> all PHP 3.  So I am trying to build from the /usr/pkgsrc area.
>
>      Doing 'make' in the /usr/pkgsrc/www/php4 directory seems to work
> for a little bit, but the process dies out because make complains about
> not being able to locate certain header files.  I looked for them, they
> are in the www/php4 directory and if I just do /usr/pkg/bin/gmake in the
> www/php4/work/php-4.3.9 directory, everything starts to compile.
>
>      I ran into a similar problem when updating from the binary to the
> source version of apache-2 and was getting 'file not found' errors for
> files that are in the include directories that are being searched for.
>
>      Am I doing something wrong ?  Is there something wrong with the
> package Makefiles ?  Am I missing something ?

What version of NetBSD did you install?  1.6.2?  You'll find that some
packages may not build with gcc2 (which is shipped with 1.6.2.).  php4,
for instance, did not build on my last 1.6.2 bulk build.  At the time, php
was at 4.3.4.  My most recent build (with NetBSD 2.0_BETA and the
pkgsrc-2004Q3 branch) built php-4.3.8 just fine.  You may want to
consider, at the very least, using gcc3.  But I'd really suggest giving
2.0_RC4 a try.