Subject: Re: Creator3D support on Ultra2
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: Gert Doering <gert@greenie.muc.de>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 10/09/2004 10:57:28
der Mouse wrote:

>> ATI Technologies 3D Rage I/II (VGA display, revision 0x9a) at pci1 dev 2 function 0 not configured
>> SUNW,ffb at mainbus0 addr 0xfebee000 not configured

>> NB: what exactly does the "not configured" line from "dmesg" tell me?

>It means the kernel can tell the device is there, but couldn't find a
>driver that was willing to handle it.

Hmmm.  I assumed something along that lines.

>In your case, there are two such lines, probably for the same hardware.

Most likely it's due to the Ultra10 having two graphics gards (an ATI
Rage Pro something on PCI, and the Creator 3D on UPA).

Next question.  On "i386" with "Linux" (or something) usually one doesn't
need a kernel driver for the graphics card in question to get X11 running.

I assume that it's different on NetBSD/Sparc64?

If so, which driver entries would one need in the kernel config file?
The only thing that I can find in 2.0RC4's "GENERIC32" is this:

## Sun FFB not supported
#ffb*           at mainbus0
#wsdisplay*     at ffb?

... which doesn't look overly promising... :-/

John Heasly posted a list of options to set in a similar thread yesterday
(Subject: NetBSD on Ultra1/170E w/Creator3D), but his changes seem to
require additional patches (and the links given don't work).

Still somewhat confused...

gert
--
gert@greenie.muc.de   fax: +49-89-35655025   http://alpha.greenie.net/mgetty/

Forgive me my nonsense as I also forgive the nonsense of those who think
they talk sense.
                                        -- Robert Frost