Subject: Re: Creator3D support on Ultra2
To: None <port-sparc64@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 10/08/2004 12:38:59
> ATI Technologies 3D Rage I/II (VGA display, revision 0x9a) at pci1 dev 2 function 0 not configured
> SUNW,ffb at mainbus0 addr 0xfebee000 not configured

> NB: what exactly does the "not configured" line from "dmesg" tell me?

It means the kernel can tell the device is there, but couldn't find a
driver that was willing to handle it.

In your case, there are two such lines, probably for the same hardware.
The first one ("at pci1") occurs because PCI is a bus that allows
enumeration of card presence in a card-independent way, so the kernel
can tell what's there in terms of manufacturer and device ID numbers
(whence the "ATI Technologies 3D Rage I/II").  The second one ("at
mainbus0") occurs because the device tree provided by OF and walked by
the kernel contains a device identified as a "SUNW,ffb", which, since
no driver claimed it, can't be further identified (there is no large
lookup table analogous to the PCIVERBOSE ones for OF device names).

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign