Subject: Re: NetBSD on Ultra1/170E w/Creator3D?
To: Michael-John Turner <mj@turner.org.za>
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Timo_Sch=F6ler?= <timo.schoeler@macfinity.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 10/07/2004 17:50:52
> Hi all,
>
> I have an Ultra1/170E running Solaris 9 and am keen on installing=20
> NetBSD on
> it (all my other 32-bit SPARCs are already running NetBSD).  My only
> concern is X performance and support for my Creator3D. How well does X
> perform compared to Solaris? Is the Creator3D even supported in
> acclerated mode (some old mailing list postings seem to suggest not)?
> Should I rather stay with Solaris 9 (onto which I've grafted pkgsrc
> and with which I'm reasonably happy)?
>
> Hope this isn't too much of a FAQ, but I didn't manage to find a=20
> definitive
> answer on the NetBSD sparc64 port page or in the list archives.

hi,

short answer (but it's all IMHO ;):

- if it's going to be a server AND it's single CPU -> NetBSD

- if it's going to be a server AND it's Dual/Quad/more CPUs -> Solaris=20=

(due to NetBSDs MP/sparc64 issue)

- if it's going to be a workstation (i guess X as mandatory) -> Solaris

i have a U2E model 2400 running Solaris, the other U2Es, U1 and U10 run=20=

NetBSD (but they're servers).

HTH

--=20
mit vorz=FCglichster Hochachtung/best regards,

Timo Sch=F6ler
//macfinity -- finest IT services | Triftstrasse 39 | 13353 Berlin |=20
Germany
Fon ++49 30 25 20 30 20 | Fax ++49 30 25 20 30 19
PGP data http://www.macfinity.net/~tis/contact/PGPPKB_timo.schoeler.txt=