Subject: Re: [2.0-RC1] shutdown is not clean
To: Michael Gerhards <HM-Gerhards@uni.de>
From: None <sigsegv@rambler.ru>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 10/04/2004 18:24:40
Michael Gerhards wrote:
> sigsegv@rambler.ru wrote:
>
>>OK I'm only guessing, but the disklabel shows "sectors/track 255" most
>>disks have 63 sectors/track, I don't know if that's gonna cause any
>>problems. If you're having some filesystem corruption you may want to
>>scan the surface of your hard disk for bad sectors etc. What you can
>>also do is blank out the disk and reinstall NetBSD, maybe fdisk or
>>disklabel got confused
>>
>>dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rwd0c bs=64k
>>
>>this will destroy all data on disk, it takes about 30min for a 40GB disk
>

> I tried it this way and reinstalled NetBSD. Unfortunately, the problem
> still exists :-(
>
> But now "disklabel /dev/wd0" gives me another output, showing 63
> sectors/track. This obviously was not the reason for this trouble...
>
> Any more ideas?
>
> Michael

Add a different disk, install NetBSD on it, if you're having the same
problems again, there may be something wrong the kernel or hardware (IDE
controller or something). You can also use Solaris' "format" command to
analyze the surface of your disk, it could be that the disk is failing
or has some bad sectors.