Subject: Re: Shutdown by pressing one key
To: Michael Gerhards <HM-Gerhards@uni.de>
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Timo_Sch=F6ler?= <timo.schoeler@macfinity.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 10/04/2004 17:07:34
>>> The Sun shall act as a server,
>>
>> running what services?
>
> Exim
> Cyrus IMAP
> Fetchnews
> SpamAssassin + Bogofilter
> Leafnode
> Squid
>
>>> if they forgot to shut down the server and there was no other=20
>>> computer
>>> running, they would have to boot again another computer, just to =
shut
>>> down the server. In my eyes this is no good solution.
>>
>> yes. you should go for a router.
>
> No router can provide these services, so I want a little server, also
> acting as a router.

that's true, but:

a machine that is steadily (for a Sun a daily shutdown *is* steadily)=20
shut down, turned on again etc. is put under heavy stress.

first, you make it's PCB, CPU(s), and other devices etc. warm up, cool=20=

down, etc. etc. -- that's a primary source of early death of this=20
machine!

second, any UNIXoide system is designed to run 24/7 -- you have to=20
implement some minor scripts to make it optimizing/running it's=20
cronjobs at daytime/when booting.

third, if they need a server, they need a server. that implies a=20
machine running all time.

just my 0.02$

--=20
mit vorz=FCglichster Hochachtung/best regards,

Timo Sch=F6ler
//macfinity -- finest IT services | Triftstrasse 39 | 13353 Berlin |=20
Germany
Fon ++49 30 25 20 30 20 | Fax ++49 30 25 20 30 19
PGP data http://www.macfinity.net/~tis/contact/PGPPKB_timo.schoeler.txt=