Subject: Re: Shutdown by pressing one key
To: Michael Gerhards <HM-Gerhards@uni.de>
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Timo_Sch=F6ler?= <timo.schoeler@macfinity.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 10/04/2004 15:24:46
>> You need to log into a server at some point, i.e. general admin =
tasks,
>> adding software, checking logs etc. The simplest way to log in is
>> through ssh
>
> Sure. I know ssh and I use it for adminstration tasks, of course.
>
> But seems as if I should describe the situation a bit more in detail.
>
> The Sun shall act as a server,

running what services?

>  giving access to the internet for a small
> home network. It shall _not_ be up 24/7 but only when it's needed.
> The users of this home network don't know much about computers, they=20=

> can
> boot a windows pc and use it as a surf station, but not more. They can
> _not_ login via ssh to shut down the server - which would also mean=20
> that
> if they forgot to shut down the server and there was no other computer
> running, they would have to boot again another computer, just to shut
> down the server. In my eyes this is no good solution.

yes. you should go for a router.

> You see my problem?

not quite. if it's a problem of the financial issues, hey, drop the=20
sparc on ebay (maybe another user will give her something more useful=20
to do than looking on packets of a winblows network ;) and use this=20
money for a router. you should get enough for a little cisco or sth.=20
like this:

- less noisy (than any sparc)

- less power consumption

- higher reliability (as a router -- it doesn't have moving parts like=20=

the sun's HD)

> Michael

--=20
mit vorz=FCglichster Hochachtung/best regards,

Timo Sch=F6ler
//macfinity -- finest IT services | Triftstrasse 39 | 13353 Berlin |=20
Germany
Fon ++49 30 25 20 30 20 | Fax ++49 30 25 20 30 19
PGP data http://www.macfinity.net/~tis/contact/PGPPKB_timo.schoeler.txt