Subject: Re: sleep sleeps forever (again)
To: None <joel@carnat.net>
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Timo_Sch=F6ler?= <timo.schoeler@macfinity.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 09/24/2004 14:35:36

>>> Just on a whim, can someone try out the attached patch to
>>> sys/arch/sparc64/include/psl.h to see if it cures the sleep forever
>>> bug?
>>>
>>> There's a chance that gcc is reordering instructions around some =
spl*
>>> calls. The patch should address this.
>>
>> Well, the problem is, I haven't found a way to trigger the bug. Other
>> people have stated that heavy network/disk IO seem to cause it, but
>> yesterday I threw a gig and a half over my network to my Ultra 5, =
over
>> FTP then over NFS, and it handled it just fine (although NFS was =
about
>> 25% slower than FTP, obviously...)
>>

> my U10 "died" (at about 9pm, according the the last cron logs) while
> doing a whole build.sh in /usr/src. I don't know is rebuilding the=20
> whole
> stuff can generate that heavey IO...

the U10 i had died then tar/gzipping /usr/src... so i guess it is not=20
dependent on network I/O exclusively.

--=20
mit vorzueglichster Hochachtung/best regards,

Timo Sch=F6ler
//macfinity -- finest IT services | Triftstrasse 39 | 13353 Berlin |=20
Germany
Fon ++49 30 25 20 30 20 | Fax ++49 30 25 20 30 19
PGP data http://www.macfinity.net/~tis/contact/PGPPKB_timo.schoeler.txt=