Subject: Re: sleep sleeps forever (again)
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Timo_Sch=F6ler?= <timo.schoeler@macfinity.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 09/23/2004 10:30:01
> my ultra10/440 experienced the sleep forever bug twice a couple of
> weeks ago.  it happens on any sparc64 box.  it seems to be more
> likely to occur if the disk and network are busy (eg, both the
> above happened when i started writing and read heavily over NFS
> at the same time.)
>

> .mrg.

appears to me that there might be a connection between *really* heavy
disk and/or network I/O (as your NFS example stated) and sleep forever;
as i wrote yesterday, i have an U2E running for months now, the most
important service is IMAP. i.e., there are chunks of data read/written
from and to disk and network I/O for a *short time*, then silence.

the U2E is connected to a managed L3 switch so that i have a great
overview over it's stats (unfortunately, i'm not running sth. like mrtg
yet).

however, seems to me that there's a dependence between sleep forever
and the apps run on the machine and their related I/O 'profile'...

--
mit vorzueglichster Hochachtung/best regards,

Timo Schoeler
//macfinity -- finest IT services | Triftstrasse 39 | 13353 Berlin |
Germany
Fon ++49 30 25 20 30 20 | Fax ++49 30 25 20 30 19
PGP data http://www.macfinity.net/~tis/contact/PGPPKB_timo.schoeler.txt