Subject: x on an u5 with ati framebuffer
To: None <port-sparc64@NetBSD.org>
From: Frank B. Scholl <frank.b.scholl@web.de>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 09/09/2004 18:57:17
hello list!

to follow the examples of other new listmembers, i first introduce myself and later i am going to describe my problem. i am a 25 years old guy, addicted to alternate platforms, and having an particular eye on sparc boxen. i grew up with x86, and as usually, converted from a single win32 platform to multiple *bsd boxen, had my times working in several computer centers for providing simpler network services like mail, http, dns and all that basic stuff. at home i have several machines running all day long, amongst those a three different sparcs of different ages. i think i am just one of that usual unix guys addicted to run as much boxen as possible and hope to be in good companionship in here. besides all that unix stuff i do programming, worked with different assemblers, recently i started with arm asm on the gba. that should be enough for an introduction :)

so. i have an ultra5 standing around here with 1.6.2 runnning some services. for some reason, i want to have x11 on that box, but i have severe problems getting that stock x11 from 1.6.2 to run. once, i saw a mail from a guy who wanted to start coding on ffb, which he needed for his u5/10. when looking in the kernel configs, ffb is commented out and obviously should not get built in. so what should i do? i tried 2_0-BETA on that machine, but when building a release it just produced heavy crashes, it stopped, didnt drop into the kernel debugger and so i wasnt able to see what actually crashed the box. are there people having x successfully running on an u5? mine always says that it does not find usable screens, what is normal, because on the sun framebuffers it should run out of the box, and if it doesnt, it never will. thats my experience...

all help is appreciated & thanks in advance. rgds,

frank

--
/~\ The ASCII
\ / Ribbon Campaign