Subject: Netbsd on Sun Ultra 5
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: Juha Sievi-Korte <juha.sievi-korte@sci.fi>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 08/07/2004 20:00:15
Hi list!

I thought to write a little "feedback", perhaps some developers are
subscribing this list :)

I recently got my hands on an used Sun Ultra 5, 128MB RAM and 270MHz
Ultrasparc IIi processor. I was seeking the web for operating systems
that support this hardware (as a long-term NetBSD user I already knew
that it can be run on Sun Ultra).

One night with google: Debian and Gentoo were only decent Linux
distributions available for sun4u, I don't like Gentoo at all and for
Debian I couldn't find any bootable netinstallation cd-mediums (though I
don't feel very comfortable with it neither:). FreeBSD is supposed to
run on this, but I found couple of comments that it can only be
installed over serial console - so I didn't even try it.

So I was starting with NetBSD 1.6.2... This was my first time ever with
Sun hardware, so I wasn't familiar with the prom at all. I followed some
instructions and tried to get it boot from cdrom, no go. Bunch of errors
when it couldn't open boot disk, or loaded file doesn't seem executable,
etc. One time I got sysinst to load but it crashed. I was quite unhappy,
because only Solaris (which was installed when I got this) seemed to
boot. I tried to change cdrom-drive, no go, but at this point I was
digging deeper with prom and found some usable diagnostic commands - all
of the IDE drives weren't recognized at every boot, so I started to
suspect a HW problem. And so it was, my 300W PSU wasn't enough for this.
Replaced a PSU with a quality one, and everything started to work
smoothly :)

I had read on OSReview that this could be unstable port, the reviewer
was experiencing crashes with sysinst, couldn't compile code and so
on... BUT everything worked fine with this, no single crash, panic,
compile problem or whatever. Compiled my own kernel, and have installed
(compiled) a bunch of software from pkgsrc. No single problem. Was I lucky?

So the point of this very long mail, thank you very much for the good
work done. I'm avaiting for an upgrade to 2.0 :)

But a little question, the default gcc seems to be 2.95.3 (/usr/bin/gcc)
Also there seems to be version 3.3.4 (/usr/pkg/gcc3/bin/gcc).
Suggestions, should I use the 3.3.4 as default? I think some programs
from the pkgsrc used the newer version...

--
Juha