Subject: Re: Help?
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Hertrick <m.hertrick@neovera.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 07/23/2004 17:41:48
I installed the latest release of OpenBSD on my Ultra 5, but did not get
X to work in the 20 minutes I played with it.  If it does work, it
wasn't obvious how the XF86Config needs tweaked for it to work.  Also,
OpenBSD's support of the ATI Mach64 was just as slow, if not slower than
NetBSD's on the console... and the console display size, at least
out-of-the-box, was not as big as the screen.  I think OpenBSD's support
for this video needs a lot of work... it just doesn't seem to be very
good especially compared to Linux' support of the same hardware.

X on Linux (Debian stable sparc64 dist.) worked right away without any
trouble.  Also, the console was high-res and filled up the whole screen
without any tweaking.  It was very fast, too...  and white on black.
Maybe that's why it was so fast... could black on white be too intensive?

I gather that if I want it done I'd either have to loan my hardware out
to a stranger or do it myself.... hmmmm.....

I've not really worked on a driver before... where would one begin?
Would I need to get "specs" from ATI or Sun?
How hard is it to get such information from a vendor/manufacturer?
How does one go about getting the info.?   Does it ever cost money?
Or are there ways of properly writing the driver with only the hardware
and a brain?
Is it all C, or would some assembly be required, too?
Would the SPARCv9 architecture manual be handy? (I bought it a year or
two ago to fulfill my curiosity of the SPARC)
How much time do you think would be reqired for someone with my lack of
driver experience to get it working?  Less than a couple months?  I'm a
good self-starter, just not a good self-finisher.... in fact, most
things I start do not get finished so if one might consider this a
long-term project, I'd better not bother.

Thanks,
Mike.