Subject: Re: dual interface question
From: Sean Davis <erplefoo@gmail.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 07/21/2004 06:30:32
On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 11:21:42 +0100, Julian Coleman <jdc@coris.org.uk> wrote:
> > I have a SS5 running 1.6ZE.  It has 2 interfaces, le0 and hme0.
> >
> > Regardless of the setting of the eeprom var "local-mac-address?"
> > both interfaces have the same MAC address.  (In case you could not
> > tell, this is not the desired effect in my case.)
> >
> > Is this a known problem at this particular point of the -current
> > tree?
>
> The SBUS HME card that I played with a little while ago did not have the
> `local-mac-address' attribute (I don't think any do), so our code cannot
> set a different mac address, there being no local mac address to use.  The
> QFE cards do have local mac addresses, so it will work with those.  You
> can give an HME card a `local-mac-address' attribute via the PROM (*) and
> this will be picked up when the card is attached.  However, I couldn't work
> out how to get this to survive a reset (using nvedit and adding these lines
> didn't work).

I've got two HME's in my Ultra 1 - one onboard, one SBus, and they
also have the same MAC address. I'm running 2.0_BETA on that machine,
would it be of any help (or at least informational value) if I booted
it up, set local-mac-address, and reported whether it did anything?

Also, the local-mac-address is an OFW setting like the rest, if I
recall correctly. It shows up in printenv. (re: not remembering the
commands :)

--
Sean

PS: I apologize if this screws up threading; I accidentally hit
'reply' instead of 'reply to all' in gmail, so this is a forward with
the subject changed appropriately and the --begin forwarded ... ---
stuff edited out.