Subject: Re: IDE-CDROM
To: None <rmk@rmkhome.com>
From: Sean Davis <erplefoo@gmail.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 07/13/2004 19:57:22
On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 17:48:38 -0600 (MDT), Rick Kelly
<rmk@toad.rmkhome.com> wrote:
> Sean Davis said:
>
> >Did it just hang, or did you hit the "sleep sleeps forever" bug?
> >I hit that recently on my Ultra 1, running -current. I haven't hit it
> >with 2.0_BETA on the same machine, though, and I've only hit it once
> >on my Ultra 5 (current) which has been running 24/7 for a long time
> >now.
>
> I have an Ultra 5 that was hitting "sleep sleeps forever" with 1.6.2.
> Longest uptime was about 80 days between sleeps. It's running 2.0_BETA
> now and I'll just have to wait and see.

The one time that my Ultra 5 hit it, it had been up for something like
70 days. So maybe the reason I haven't hit it isn't because I'm lucky,
but because I tend to update the box often enough that it's rarely up
for more than a month, now... Has there been any progress in finding
the cause of the bug? Has anybody compared our sparc64 code with, say,
FreeBSD or OpenBSD, which aren't affected by it (as far as I know)?
It's really irritating that we've had this bug for such a long time
with zero progress in fixing it, and it affects a very popular port
:-\

--
Sean