Subject: rm: conftest: is a directory
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <stephane@sources.org>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 06/07/2004 22:20:07
[Sent to port64-netbsd because the same program works fine on i386, so I
assume it is a Sparc-specific problem. Copy to autoconf mailing list because
the program is a configure script.]

An autoconf-generated configure script always crash:

checking for vprintf... rm: conftest: is a directory
rm: conftest: is a directory
no
checking for getaddrinfo... rm: conftest: is a directory
rm: conftest: is a directory
no

and fails to discover things that do exist (such as getaddrinfo on NetBSD).

The first similar tests are fine (here the content of config.log)

configure:4683: cc -o conftest -g -O2   conftest.c conftstm.o >&5
configure:4686: $? = 0
configure:4724: result: ok
configure:6557: checking whether -lc should be explicitly linked in
configure:6562: cc -c -g -O2  conftest.c >&5
configure:6565: $? = 0
configure:6579: cc -shared conftest.o  -v -Wl,-soname -Wl,conftest -o conftest
2\>\&1 \| grep  -lc  \>/dev/null 2\>\&1
configure:6582: $? = 1
configure:6594: result: yes

Then they fail:

configure:20264: checking for socket in -lsocket
configure:20294: cc -o conftest -g -O2  -I/usr/pkg/include  -L/usr/pkg/lib
conftest.c -lsocket   >&5
ld: cannot open output file conftest: Is a directory
configure:20300: $? = 1

NetBSD 1.6.2, UltraSparc 10.

On a regular PC with the same version of NetBSD, everything is fine.

I noticed what seems to be a similar problem on the UltraSparc:

http://www.NetBSD.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=22046

You can retrieve the test program at ftp://ftp.internatif.org/pub/unix/echoping
/echoping-6.0-BETA.tar.gz.

--
Stéphane Bortzmeyer
http://www.internatif.org/bortzmeyer/