Subject: Wedged inetd on restart, 'sleep forever' bug?
To: NetBSD/sparc64 <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: Matt Dainty <matt@bodgit-n-scarper.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 05/18/2004 23:40:34
Hi,

I've been running -current circa 1.6ZK on my Ultra 170 for a while now
and been fairly happy with it. However, I just came to restart inetd and
noticed it wouldn't stop and the inetd process is now wedged in state
'DEs' according to ps.

>From browsing the list archives, I'm guessing this is the infamous
'sleep forever' bug, right?

I haven't noticed this happen at all prior to this incident, my Ultra is
mostly running LDAP, NFS+quotas on RAIDframe, and I'm fairly certain
I've not got softdeps turned on, (came up in one of the threads).

Is there any point in updating to fix it? Apart from this, I've not
found any other immediate problems with the system so far. I've started
inetd so that's running again, and the stuck inetd doesn't seem to be
causing any due harm, so I'll do a reboot when it's quiet.

Cheers

Matt