Subject: re: dumb sparc vs. sparc64 question
To: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 03/11/2004 19:28:40
   On Mar 11, 2004, at 3:06 AM, matthew green wrote:
   >       Hey folks.  Will NetBSD/sparc64 run unmodified binaries from a
   >    NetBSD/sparc system of a compatible release?
   >

   > given a /emul/netbsd32 (ie, libraries, etc), and the relevant kernel
   > options (COMPAT_NETBSD32), yup.

      Exactly the response I was looking for, and in a matter of hours.
   Try to get THAT level of support with a commercial OS.  Thanks Matt!

      Is there much of a performance hit over native binaries?

in my testing, sometimes yes, sometimes no :-)  generally there
is no noticable difference... specific applications may be faster
or slower running 32 bit or 64 bit mode, but 32 bit code on 64 bit
kernel doesn't really perform any worse than 32 bit code on 32 bit
kernel....

.mrg.