Subject: Re: Ultra 5 nvram question
To: Blaz Antonic <blaz.antonic@siol.net>
From: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 02/21/2004 09:38:22
On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 02:49:22PM -0800, Blaz Antonic wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Just one more question regarding Ultra 5, if i may :) I put in Tekram
> SCSI controller (with that Symbios chip that is recognised by the
> firmware) and a SCSI HD. Disk works correctly when i boot from CD-ROM, i
> just can't boot from HD due to what appears to be misconfiguration of
> disk alias.
>
> When i do show-disks at ok prompt the line about disk mentions ide -
> there is no IDE disk in the box, only IDE CD. I came across a manual
> that suggests using probe-scsi-all, selecting correct drive (i select
> option a, my SCSI disk) and doing nvalias disk ^YN,0:f (where ^Y =
> control+y, N = ID of disk).
>
> However this doesn't seem to change anything, show-disks shows IDE again
> on disk line. Am i misinterpreting something ? Can somebody give me
> exact line that will set my HD (with SCSI ID N) as "disk" in nvram for
> booting ?

When I first got my Ultra 5, I had a devalias called scsidisk, pointing to
/pci@1f,0/pci@1/scsi@1/disk@0,0. I then did a setenv boot-device scsidisk:a.

After upgrading the firmware on the U5 to the latest, that devailas stopped
working (it wasn't changed at all, I deleted it and restored it manually,
but it still didn't work) so I just did:
setenv boot-device /pci@1f,0/pci@1/scsi@1/disk@0,0:a
and it boots just fine from the scsi disk.

(I'm using an Adaptec AHA-2940UW-OFW)

-Sean

--
/~\ The ASCII