Subject: Re: slow down the ventilator on SunFire V100
To: Joel CARNAT <jcarnat@altran.net>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 01/07/2004 13:59:10
On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 10:36:04AM +0100, Joel CARNAT wrote:
> I guess this looks like apm|acpi feature ?

Well, partly. We are lacking a general framework for this (an environment
controll daemon, or maybe a kernel thread) to do the decisions and tells
the hardware to gear up or slow down.

This is the same problem the i386 port has with ACPI currently.
Additionally, I myself have no idea how to get temperature values or controll
fans on ultra sparcs (any pointers?).

On i386 APM does handle it by itself, i.e. the OS is not (much) involved.
That way (older) i386 laptops work fine; but ACPI does not handle anything
itself - it provides a way to find sensors and read/interpret their data,
and to set controlls (like desired RPM for fans).

Martin